Assistant FIS Coach, Equipment Manager, Academic Liaison
Rowland Hall is an independent school in Salt Lake City serving nearly 1,000 students in preschool through twelfth grade. Driven by our vision of inspiring students who make a difference, Rowland Hall sets the standard for teaching and learning excellence in a warm, inclusive environment where students form meaningful relationships that cultivate confidence and self-discovery. Transformational academic and co-curricular programs, including experiential learning opportunities, self-expression through the arts, and a competitive athletic program, ensure students are challenged both inside and outside the classroom. We foster curiosity, compassion, and joy throughout the learning process and graduate young adults who know how to think critically and live with purpose.
Located near the base of the stunning Wasatch Mountain Range and adjacent to the University of Utah, a world-class research university and medical center, Rowland Hall attracts a diverse community of families. The school focuses on recruiting and retaining high-quality employees by offering extensive professional development opportunities, salaries that are competitive with local districts and market rates, and a close-knit, supportive community.
Rowmark Ski Academy and Rowland Hall seek an Assistant FIS Alpine Coach/Ski Equipment Manager/Assistant Academic Liaison.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Provide coaching expertise and assistance for the FIS Team in collaboration with the Head FIS Coaches for all on and off snow FIS athlete activities, including training, racing, and camps. The projected Rowmark FIS Team size for 2022–2023 is ~18 athletes.
- Manage our annual ski equipment ordering, ski prep, binding mounting boot work processes. The Equipment Manager organizes and executes the ordering, billing, receiving, and delivery of skis, bindings, boots to the academy Rowmarkers. The initial ski prep and boot work are performed by our local professional shop partners. The Equipment Manager organizes and executes the drop-off, pick-up to the shops, and student billing for these services. The Equipment Manager performs most binding mountain as well as a limited amount of boot work and basic equipment repairs. The Equipment Manager performs periodic tuning clinics to the Rowmarkers and manages the dispersal of our SG and DH skis through our loaner program.
- Assist in coaching our conditioning program for all academy athletes, U16/U19/U21 of both genders, in collaboration with our Head Conditioning Coach. The projected total Rowmark Academy Team size for 2022-23 is ~36 athletes.
- Assist our Rowmark Academic Coordinator in working with the Rowmark student-athletes and especially those who struggle with time management, organization, missing a lot of school, learning disabilities, or other challenges that contribute to poor academic performance. Proctoring study halls during the winter trimester and during camps and race trips with support from other Rowmark staff.
- Evaluate the development of each athlete throughout the season through a goal setting and evaluation process, including semi-annual physical testing, and post-camp, mid-season, and season-end evaluation writing. Assistance and sharing in writing of evaluations from FIS Head Coaches.
- Assist in clear communication with athletes, parents, team manager, and school administration regarding training, competing, and travel.
- Work with Head FIS Coaches and Team Manager to coordinate travel plans for all FIS Team athletes as needed (ground transport, flights, lodging, etc.)
- Attend periodic staff meetings as scheduled by director
- Attend periodic IMD and/or USSA meetings/clinics
- Stay current with SafeSport, USSA, and FIS rules and equipment specifications
- Be available to work and travel for extended periods of time
- Be flexible and adaptable to schedule changes due to weather or other factors
- Perform various other duties as requested by the director and head coaches
- Be part of the weekly staff driving rotation to transport Rowmark athletes from school to training and back, which requires obtaining and keeping a Utah Commercial Driver’s License (CDL Class C Passenger endorsement)
- Exhibit a consistently professional, positive, and mature coaching style in working with adolescent athletes
Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Certified USSA Coaches Level 100 Coach or higher
- Will obtain a Utah Commercial Driver’s License in order to share in driving rotation of Rowmark bus to and from training
- Has or will obtain First Aid and CPR certification and update every two years
- Demonstrates cultural competency both on and off the hill
- Functional video camera and computer skills, especially with regard to videoing and uploading to our Sprongo video application platform.
The requirements listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- lift 40–50 lbs and carry SL and GS gates on an alpine training hill while skiing;
- Move easily around a ski hill, weight room, gym, and field to engage with students when coaching or supporting their training practices;
- be able to communicate appropriately and effectively with constituents, including students, families, and colleagues;
- be able to contribute in an organized and productive manner as a team member of the ski academy.
This is a full-time, exempt position, with a comprehensive benefits package included, beginning July 1, 2022, ending June 30, 2023, and reports to the Rowmark Ski Academy Program Director.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and any other supporting materials to Rowmark Ski Academy Program Director Todd Brickson at email@example.com. For more information about our ski academy and school, please visit rowlandhall.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Rowland Hall is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, believes that each individual is entitled to equal opportunity without regard to sex, color, race, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal or state anti-discrimination laws. Rowland Hall’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, promotion, training, discipline, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.