Lunchroom & Playground Monitor - Lower School
Rowland Hall is an independent school in Salt Lake City serving 1,000 students in preschool through twelfth grade. Driven by our vision of inspiring students who make a difference, Rowland Hall sets the standard for teaching and learning excellence in a warm, inclusive environment where students form meaningful relationships that cultivate confidence and self-discovery. Transformational academic and co-curricular programs, including experiential learning opportunities, self-expression through the arts, and a competitive athletic program, ensure students are challenged both inside and outside the classroom. We foster curiosity, compassion, and joy throughout the learning process and graduate young adults who know how to think critically. Our recently launched strategic priorities are designed to give students agency and purpose while empowering them to make the world a better place for all.
Located near the base of the stunning Wasatch Mountain Range and adjacent to the University of Utah, a world-class research university and medical center, Rowland Hall attracts a diverse community of families. The school focuses on recruiting and retaining high-quality employees by offering extensive professional development opportunities, salaries that are competitive with local districts and market rates, and a close-knit, supportive community.
Lunchroom & playground monitors manage the flow of students in and out of the cafeteria during lunch hours, supervise children at play during recess, monitor student behavior, assist children as needed, and assist the administrator on duty.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Be on campus at 11 am, ready to supervise, and stay until all students are finished with lunch and off the playground.
- Manage the flow of students during lunch hours
- Circulate in designated areas while monitoring students’ behavior
- Help children problem solve
- Try to anticipate problem situations and student needs
- Greet children, help them find what they need, and follow behavior expectations
- Help with the organized dismissal of the children
- Set up lunch tray disposal areas with a cart, tub of soapy water, and hot water
- Wipe off/sanitize tables after departing students, readying tables for next grade level
- Make yourself available to and follow the lead of the administrator on duty.
- Inform teachers and administrators of problems and accidents
- If an accident occurs, fill out an Accident Report Form and submit it to the Assistant Principal
- Read and become familiar with the Playground Monitor’s Handbook and RH Policy and Procedure Manual
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Requirements
- High school graduate, some college preferred
- Able to communicate clearly with children and teachers
- Childcare experience preferred
Hours: 11 am–1 pm, Monday–Friday
Pay: $15 per hour
Benefits: Free lunch, free parking close to U of U, an excellent opportunity to work with children.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Rowland Hall is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, believes that each individual is entitled to equal opportunity without regard to sex, color, race, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal or state anti-discrimination laws. Rowland Hall’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, promotion, training, discipline, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.