Rowland Hall’s Mission
We inspire students to lead ethical and productive lives through a college-preparatory program that promotes the pursuit of academic and personal excellence.
Rowland Hall students learn how to think, not what to think. They develop the tools to ask questions, think critically, take risks, and solve problems creatively.
Nothing gives me more joy than hearing from alumni that Rowland Hall gave them the knowledge and resilience to succeed in life long after their classroom days had ended.—Head of School Alan Sparrow
Learn for Life
Students are led on a joyful educational journey that culminates with intellectual, social, and emotional empowerment—giving them the understanding, perspective, and confidence to thrive in a dynamic world.
Our culture promotes kindness and inclusion. Unified by our understanding of and appreciation for each other, we see diversity as a strength and an opportunity to expand our perspectives and enhance our community.
Live with Purpose
We inspire students to find and use their own unique voices—literally and figuratively. Whether through public speaking, artistic expression, or service learning, our students engage with their community and build self-awareness. They don’t just develop as intellectuals, they flourish as people.
Teachers cultivate meaningful, trusting relationships with students, because relationships are an essential ingredient for learning. We know what makes each student tick and we challenge and support them in ways unique to their learning, personality, and motivations.
Like all independent schools, Rowland Hall engages in a thoughtful conversation about its mission, vision, and direction on a five-year cycle. Toward the end of each of these strategic planning processes, stakeholders representing each school constituency—teachers, alumni, administrators, trustees, parents, students—unite around goals for teaching, learning, and funding that will best serve our students.
- 1. Enhance the student learning experience
- 2. Provide an exceptional math and science program
- 3. Develop the enrollment and business model for our future
We will build on Rowland Hall’s exceptional program by fostering a culture that enables educators to explore and incorporate the most appropriate current research into their teaching practices and student learning. We will continue to evolve in order to provide the best possible education and opportunities for our students by:
- Institutionalizing a structure for on-going professional learning and collaboration among faculty.
- Incorporating current research on education, teaching, and learning into our teaching model in a more systematic fashion.
- Incorporating a wide variety of approaches to assess student learning.
- Creating classroom environments that celebrate our commitment to diverse ways of learning by employing differentiated approaches to instruction.
- Integrating social and emotional learning and cultural responsiveness to our academic and co-curricular programs (added November 2018).
- Providing support, resources, and time to help teachers accomplish the above goals.
While remaining committed to educating the whole child and offering an incomparable learning experience in the humanities, arts, and athletics, we will develop new opportunities for students in mathematics and science. We will challenge and excite each and every student by:
- Strengthening our math and science curriculum, learning objectives, and instructional and assessment practice school wide.
- Evaluating methods of incorporating technology and engineering into curricular and extracurricular activities.
- Making math and science education accessible, engaging, and appropriately challenging for every student.
- Communicating school successes in math, science, technology, and engineering.
As Rowland Hall’s business model continues to focus on funding a top quality college preparatory education, it will also remain dedicated to the longer-term tasks of creating 21st century facilities, growing the school’s endowment, and generating strong enrollment by:
- Adopting a financial philosophy and budgeting model that fully funds the very finest PreK-12 educational program in the Intermountain West, while acknowledging the financial pressure tuition places on our families.
- Continuing to annually evaluate data regarding revenue/expenses and enrollment/capacity, by division, to determine whether a need exists to further differentiate tuition by division.
- Supporting and enhancing admission and marketing strategies that communicate Rowland Hall’s value proposition to both internal and external audiences.
Building a new Middle School and athletic complex on the Steiner Campus, enhancing the teaching and learning experiences and bringing the school one step closer to achieving its vision of uniting on one campus (added November 2018).