Like other private independent schools, Rowland Hall is independently funded, relying on tuition to offer an exceptional education to the PreK through twelfth-grade students who attend our two Salt Lake City, Utah, campuses.
While tuition is a major source of funding for the school, Rowland Hall believes that an independent education should not be out of reach for families unable to pay the full tuition. As a result, we provide over $2.61 million in financial aid and scholarships to students each year. Rowland Hall financial aid awards are grants, not loans, and do not have to be repaid, and are available to students in kindergarten through twelfth grade.
At Rowland Hall, we are committed to understanding each family’s individual circumstances to determine financial aid eligibility and appropriate awards. A family should never assume they are not eligible for aid, or that any financial aid examples they may see online are complete; the only sure way to know if you qualify, and how much you qualify for, is to work directly with a school financial aid professional. Rowland Hall Director of Financial Aid Mary Anne Wetzel '01 guides each family through the financial aid journey.
What to Expect When You Apply for Financial Aid at Rowland Hall
1. Explore Rowland Hall, Then Fill Out an Admission Application
Before you apply to Rowland Hall—including for financial aid—it’s important to determine if our school is right for your family. Begin by contacting our Admission Department via the inquiry page. After inquiring, you may also choose to attend an admission event or take a virtual tour to help make your decision.
If your family determines that you’d like to apply to Rowland Hall, please begin or complete an admission application before starting a financial aid application.
2. Prepare Your Financial Documents
Rowland Hall uses School and Student Services (SSS), a document verification service utilized by hundreds of private and independent schools that award financial aid. To ensure the smoothest process in SSS, we recommend that you gather necessary financial documents—including W2s or 1040s, and mortgage interest, banking, and investment statements—before beginning the financial aid application. We also recommend that you review SSS’ Guiding Principles for Families prior to starting the application.
3. Fill Out Your Financial Aid Application
After gathering financial documents, you are ready to begin the application.
- Create an account in the SSS Family Portal. Keep track of login information, as you will need it to return to the system. (You can fill out an application over multiple sessions.)
- The application will first ask for basic demographic information to help determine eligibility. After completing these questions, eligible families will pay an application fee of $55, which can be done with a credit or debit card. (A fee waiver may apply in certain situations; please contact the director of financial aid with questions.)
- After submitting the fee, continue your application. The SSS application is designed for ease of use and offers a robust help system, as well as a support phone number. Families are also welcome to contact Rowland Hall’s Admission Team if SSS is unable to provide an answer.
- Use the application’s comment area to expand on anything in your application, or to make us aware of other circumstances that may affect your ability to pay.
- Be sure to upload the tax documents requested by SSS, as your application will not be considered complete without them.
After your application is submitted, it will be reviewed by Rowland Hall’s four-person Financial Aid Committee. Your personal information, as well as any awarded aid, is only shared with this committee and is always kept confidential. If necessary, the director of financial aid may reach out to you with follow-up questions that will help the committee make an informed decision.
Please be aware that financial aid priority for the upcoming school year is given to applications submitted by the admission deadline. The due date for admission and financial aid applications for 2022–2023 is Monday, February 7, 2022; both applications must be fully completed by this date.
4. Review Financial Aid Decision and Follow Up as Requested
All families receive communication regarding Rowland Hall’s financial aid decisions. Contracts and financial award letters for 2022–2023 will be available in Rowland Hall’s admission portal in early March 2022.
If your family receives a financial award letter, you’ll accept that award by signing the provided contract and returning it to Rowland Hall by the required date, along with a non-refundable deposit of 10% of your tuition amount. Receipt of a signed contract and deposit locks in your financial aid package and secures your student’s, or students’, place for the next school year. Families also choose a payment plan at contract signing.
Want more information on Rowland Hall’s financial aid process? Contact Director of Financial Aid Mary Anne Wetzel at email@example.com or 801-924-2964 to get started. We also invite you to visit our admission RSVP page if you would like to attend a virtual open house or a small group tour of our Utah independent private school campuses.