International Student Program
Rowland Hall is currently seeking international students who have strong academic records and will make positive contributions to our school community. We accept international students to our Upper School—grades nine through eleven.
The academic program at Rowland Hall is rigorous, and we do not offer an English as a Second Language (ESL)/English Language Learners (ELL) program. International students take the same courses as domestic students, so fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English is essential. Fluency in English must be demonstrated during the application process.
International students may live with a parent(s) or legal guardian, or they may choose to stay with a Rowland Hall host family. Please call us for more information on our host family program.
Once an international student has been admitted and completed all necessary paperwork, Rowland Hall will issue an I-20 form. Please note financial aid is not available for international students.
- Deadline: February 15 annually
- Fee: $160
- Applicant questionnaire
- Parent questionnaire
- School transcripts for the current year and two prior academic years (translated into English)
- Two teacher recommendations (one must be from a teacher of English or other teacher with knowledge of student’s English proficiency)
- Documentation of Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or iTEP Secondary Level Assessment Test of English (SLATE) test score
- Copy of student passport
- Official copy of parent’s bank statement, indicating sufficient funds for payment of tuition
- If applicants are in the area, an in-person interview will be scheduled. If applicant is unable to visit the school, a Skype interview will be scheduled.
- International applicants must submit documentation of either a Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or iTEP Secondary Level Assessment Test of English (SLATE) test score.
- Applicants can register for the TOEFL at toefl.org. Our ETS code for score reporting purposes is 2045. The recommended minimum TOEFL score on the Internet-based test (iBT) is 80-82, dependent on grade level. Attaining the recommended TOEFL score is not a guarantee of admission.
- Applicants can register for the iTEP SLATE at itepexam.com. The recommended minimum iTEP SLATE scores is 4. Attaining the recommended minimum iTEP SLATE score is not a guarantee of admission.
Excellence abounds in the Upper School—not only in our college-preparatory academic program, but also in championship athletics and debate; a broad STEM curriculum taught by innovative, award-winning educators; service learning; celebrated music, dance, theater, visual, and literary arts programs; and in Beyond the Classroom, a three-year sequence that takes students into the field and beyond traditional classroom walls to develop life and leadership skills, and to serve the greater community. Our college counselors are recognized by the nation’s college admissions officers as among the most knowledgeable and well-connected in their field and our students benefit by making well-informed choices that represent their best college fit. Most important to us, our graduates head out into the world as good people, fueled by passion, guided by values, and dedicated to making the world a better place.