Winged Lion musicians enjoyed a banner school year dotted with captivating chapel and morning-meeting performances, well-attended concerts, a visit from a Stradivarius-playing concertmaster, and glowing reviews at competitions.
Highlights for the year, according to music teachers Sarah Yoon and Jeremy Innis:
On October 16, our Advanced Chamber Ensemble (ACE) performed at Primary Children's Hospital for the third year in a row; read our November 2017 story about ACE and their volunteerism. New this year, the hospital internally televised the concert for all patients to enjoy.
On April 23, Pacific Symphony Concertmaster Dennis Kim visited Rowland Hall for a masterclass, brown-bag lunch concert, and Q&A session. Dennis worked with our musicians in small groups, giving them direct, practical pointers—particularly on playing their instruments with passion. He also shared personal anecdotes, including the story of his career and how he acquired a Stradivarius violin, one of the most celebrated and valuable instruments in the world.
On May 2, ACE and the Upper School Orchestra performed music from Schindler’s List at the Jewish Community Center for Yom HaShoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day. “It was very powerful to be among Holocaust survivors and family members,” Sarah said.
On June 1, choir students performed Aretha Franklin’s “Respect” along with our jazz band and dance company at the Salt Lake City Pride Parade; participation was driven by middle and upper schoolers in LGBTQ+ advocacy and allyship clubs.
Sixteen Rowland Hall students competed at Regionals on March 26. From there, one choir and all eight ACE students moved onto the Utah High School Activities Association’s State Solo and Ensemble South Festival held Saturday, April 27, in Provo.
At State, all of our competing students (listed below) received a “superior” rating, the highest on a five-point scale. View a full PDF of all results.
- Cora Lopez, contralto singer, La fleur que tu m'avais jetee by Bizet
- Claire Sanderson, piano, Chopin Nocturne
- Ziteng Zeng, violin, Mozart Rondo from Serenade in D minor "Haffner"
- Jake Bleil, string bass, Koussevitzy Valse Miniature
- Augustus Hickman, violin, Bach Concerto in A minor
- Austin Topham and Zach Benton, violin and viola, Handel Halvorsen Passacaglia
- Patrick McNally and Ziteng Zeng, violin, Vivaldi Concerto in D minor
- Augustus Hickman and Atticus Hickman, violin, Bach Double Concerto