Inclusion & Equity
We believe that everyone deserves respect and a welcome place in our community. Educational excellence is possible when all members of a community have a voice and feel safe being their authentic selves.
Rowland Hall represents a diverse community that encompasses differences in the human experience including those of ethnicity, race, national origin, family composition, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and learning styles, among others.
To that end, we affirm that:
- Deepening our knowledge of and appreciation for each other's differences nurtures moral and intellectual growth, fosters a sense of belonging, and creates a stronger community;
- Building awareness that we each have distinct power and privilege inspires us to embrace our responsibility and work toward an equitable and just community; and
- Cultivating a diverse and inclusive learning environment prepares our children to effectively participate in a dynamic and increasingly interconnected world.
We recognize that engaging in this work is an evolving process that must be sustained through constant dialogue and effort. All members of Rowland Hall commit to carrying out this mission in our school and wider community.
Human diversity encompasses all the ways that people differ, including ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. Rowland Hall is committed to diversity and the promotion of an academic community in which each member feels connected, comfortable, respected, and included. Rowland Hall is non-discriminatory and includes students, parents, faculty, board, and staff from a variety of backgrounds. The school places an emphasis on educating students about our increasingly diverse world. The school recognizes that we may face difficulties as we work to become a more inclusive institution. Rather than avoiding these challenges, we recognize that progress comes from embracing and celebrating diversity. This Statement of Diversity is based upon and extends the core values of Rowland Hall.
To that end, we affirm to:
- Treat individuals and groups with dignity;
- Respect diversity of opinions, beliefs, practices, and ideas; and
- Reflect and honor the history and backgrounds that we represent.
The Benefits of a Diverse Community
Rowland Hall’s diversity—encompassing differences in the human experience including those of ethnicity, race, national origin, family composition, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and learning styles—expands our perspectives, fosters understanding and creativity, and ultimately strengthens our community.
Through championing diversity, Rowland Hall empowers students to form meaningful relationships with people from all walks of life and to succeed in an increasingly globalized, heterogeneous society.