For busy, working families, Rowland Hall offers services to augment your transportation, childcare, health, and food-services needs. These programs are administered by trained, professional staff, who are available to help you find the best-fitting services and schedules for your student.
Academic support counselors help students by providing the following, as needed:
- Individualized educational support
- Assistance with organizational and time-management skills
- Access to educational psychologists
- Recommendations for, and implementation of, student academic accommodations
- Resources for outside tutoring and standardized test preparation
- Supplemental reading, writing, and math assessments and support
- ERB testing for fourth and fifth grades
Full-time social-emotional support counselors are available to students and families on both campuses to assist with family, peer, and personal issues as they affect a child’s school life. In addition to collaborating with grade-level teams to identify issues and develop support plans for students, counselors provide:
- Emotional support for students and/or families in the form of individual meetings and/or support groups
- Resources for parents and students seeking emotional and mental health services outside the school realm
- Services and support for the entire school community in times of crises
- Maturation support
- Second Step curriculum instruction, which teaches skills for social and academic success (beginning and lower schools)
- Developmentally appropriate alcohol, drug, and sexual health education (middle and upper schools)
The Extended Day program in the beginning, lower, and middle schools offers flexible solutions for your before- and after-school childcare needs.
Extended Day is designed to be consistent with the philosophy of the school, and provide social and recreational activities that help children grow in an informal and nurturing atmosphere. The program fosters self-worth by offering individual and group activities, nutritious snacks, enrichment classes, and a fun atmosphere.
Beginning School Extended Day for the 2020–2021 School Year
Adjusted for COVID-19
- AM Extended Day runs from 7:30 am to 8:20 am and costs $14.50
- PM Extended Day runs from 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm and costs $11
Availability is limited and will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis. We're committed to providing quality childcare for those families who need it due to work commitments or other serious obligations.
Please email Kathryn Pickford if you have any questions.
Beginning School Extended Day
In a Normal School Year
The Beginning School provides 3PreK–K students with engaging and relaxing experiences before and after regular school days, all in a multi-aged group.
Beginning School AM Extended Day
- The Beginning School offers AM Extended Day to all students who arrive on the McCarthey Campus between 7:15 and 8:20 am.
- AM Extended Day is also available at 7 am by request with at least 24 hours advance notice.
- AM Extended Day is operated on a drop-in basis only. There is no need to register for morning care (unless you need care starting at 7 am).
- The fee for AM Extended Day is $14.50 per morning if your child arrives before 8 am.
- After 8 am, there is no charge.
- At 8:20 am, students are escorted to their classes.
Beginning School PM Extended Day
Children must be registered 24 hours in advance. Families have the option to reserve any number of days on a year-long basis, on a changing schedule basis, or for occasional days if space permits.
PM Extended Day Options
- Option A: 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm
- Option B: 3:15 pm to 5:30 pm
- Option C: 3:15 pm to 6:00 pm
Extended Day is not offered on days when school is not in session, except on days when there are parent-teacher conferences or teacher in-service days when special Extended Day will be available.
Lower School Extended Day
Lower School AM Extended Day
The morning program is for all students who arrive on the McCarthey Campus after 7:15 am. The program costs $11.40 per hour—if you’re interested, please create an account and register.
Lower School PM Extended Day
The afternoon program provides enriching and fun experiences from 3:15 to 6 pm after each school day. Students can choose from a wide variety of virtual classes (including Enrichment and Arts & Ensembles) or enjoy additional time with their cohorts. Immediately after school, students check in at the dining hall computer and receive a pre-packaged snack. There will not be a second snack served this year. Students will spend most of their time outdoors playing games and kept separated according to their grade-level cohorts.
The afternoon program costs $11.40 per hour if you pre-register 24 hours or more in advance, and $12.60 per hour for drop-ins. If you’re interested, please create an account and register. Families arriving after 6 pm will be charged an additional late fee of $1 per minute.
Middle School Extended Day
The Middle School commons is open from 7:30 to 8 am for all Middle School students, free of charge.
In the afternoon, Extended Day runs daily from 3:45 to 6 pm at a cost of $8.25 per hour, prorated per minute. Families are billed via the school’s monthly billing system. Registration is on a drop-in, as-needed basis. All middle schoolers on campus after 3:45 pm are required to sign into Extended Day unless they are with an athletic team, meeting with a teacher, or taking an Extended Day enrichment class or private music lesson. Upon arrival at Extended Day, students choose their activity. Options may include supervised quiet study or homework help in a designated classroom, collaborative homework or studying in the commons, or free-choice recreation activity out on the back field.
Special Day Extended Care
Due to COVID-19, Extended Day Special Days are not being offered during the 2020-21 school year.
Special Day activities and care are offered on days that school is not in session, such as parent-teacher conference days and some teacher in-service days. Programs are designed to be consistent with the philosophy of the school, and provide social and recreational activities that help children grow in an informal and nurturing atmosphere.
Questions? Please call the Auxiliary Program office at 801-924-2971.
Rowland Hall offers transportation to students in the lower, middle, and upper schools (grades 1–12). Beginning School students may be considered for the bus, but must have approval from their principal and the director of transportation. Door-to-door service is not available. Please email Bryan Bailey for more information.
COVID-19 Transportation Updates
Rowland Hall understands the importance of our bus services to many of our families. We're taking additional steps to improve bus safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. Precautions include frequent cleaning of the buses, limiting bus capacity, and an assigned-seating system. Masks are required for all students and drivers. Hand-sanitizer dispensers are mounted near the doors on every bus.
Limited bus seating is available on several of Rowland Hall's bus routes. If interested in further information, please email Bryan Bailey.
Bus Rules and Safety
Rowland Hall bus rules are in place to ensure the safety of our students and drivers. Review the rules.
Unlike many school buses, all Rowland Hall buses have been retrofitted with seat belts to ensure the safety of our students. Buses used for kindergarten field trips have four-point harnesses.
Maintenance is performed regularly on the buses, and the Utah Highway Patrol performs bi-annual inspections to ensure proper maintenance and compliance.
Rowland Hall is a member of the Utah Safety Council.
To ensure a safer air quality around our students our buses support the school’s “No Idling” pledge, which states that if you are stopped for longer than 10 seconds at the school or bus stops that you turn off your engine. Parents, while at the bus stops, are also asked to follow the school’s pledge.
All drivers are screened and have class B or class A commercial drivers' licenses. Drivers undergo background checks and are trained in CPR and First Aid. Random drug and alcohol screenings are performed throughout the year.
Please contact Director of Transportation Bryan Bailey at 801-924-2954 or email@example.com.
Rowland Hall partners with Sage Dining Services to provide a variety of healthy and delicious lunch choices for first through twelfth grades. Daily features include freshly prepared soups and entrees, along with sandwiches, a build-your-own specialty salad bar, and freshly made dressings. House-roasted and hand-sliced deli meats, a variety of locally baked breads, a minimum of two fresh vegetables and fresh-cut fruit are also served daily. Middle School and Upper School students also have a variety of a la carte and snack items to choose from in our Lincoln Street Campus cafeteria.
Our sustainability initiatives are integral to our lunch program and are woven throughout our practices. Sage Dining Services shares our commitment to sustainable practices and they work closely with us when choosing local vendors, selecting products and designing the dining program. Food scraps are collected daily from both of our kitchens and the McCarthey Campus cafeteria and added to our on-site composting Earth Tub. The compost produced is used in our science garden at the Lower School.
Food Services Pricing
- Participation in our cafeteria program is optional and involves an additional daily fee of $5.50 for Lower School students at the McCarthey Campus.
- Lower School students who bring lunch from home can also purchase milk separately for $1.
- Meals at the Lincoln Street Campus cafeteria for Middle School and Upper School students are priced a la carte.
- Both cafeterias are cashless and students use their unique PIN to purchase their food. Parents are billed monthly for their food purchases.
- School lunch is not available for Beginning School students.
Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Please contact Food Service Director Julia Simonsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-924-5934.
For more information about our lunch program and daily menu, visit Rowland Hall's page on the Sage website.